I give a little shit about these things as I don't want the AUD to slide god damn it. It defeats the whole purpose of my migration.
I nearly fell off my chair: US Fed made a US85 billion loan to save AIG!! from bankruptcy and fears of a meltdown on financial markets. AIG (The insurer) rescued by the government of 85 billion!! And needs to borrow somemore?...I mean, nice bail-out plan.
Forget that....But can we avoid a global recession or not?
The rich world's economies look like it's dwindling and going to the dogs. Recent weeks, when I made an attempt to read the financial news like a crazy person....looks as though the rich-world recession is inevitable. America's economy lost it recently...but cushioned by perhaps the fiscal incentives and strong exports. But as all this wore off, unemployment rates increased, credit tightened and consumer spending dropped. I think Britain is no better too now.
Confidence has turned down which pretty much explains the rate cut. Cheaper money?
Plus the commodity prices falling sharply (oil prices down), inflation risks are fading away in the rich world. Exports will be hit as recession falls onto the rich economies. Falling commodity prices may not be too good for countries that produce them. Things like this.
What else...
Last week I think, four or five central banks, as well as the Federal Reserve and the Bank of England cut lending rates, by half a percentage, just to boost some bloody confidence. But then you have America's Federal Reserve's unsecured lending to companies(dont think i've ever heard this before). Everyone's efforts to rescue the national banking system. I don't quite understand everything about it, but...Liquidity and solvency always seem to be a problem.No? Oh yeah and funding....funds they need to finance the share of their assets not covered by their deposits and etc. Short of capital..Need government money?
Everyones cutting spending (Except for me-still shopping like a neurotic maniac).. and my boss was telling me..some are adding to the pressure on banks by drawing down to glory their existing overdraft facilities regardless of whether they need the money or not.
Nearly all country's banking system is suffering with, enormous losses and in need of capital...because they cannot borrow in the longer-term paper markets....But what are they(rescuers) doing? I dont know....help free up the market for short-term liquidity? by lending to banks longer? to give banks highly liquid instruments in exchange for other illiquid assets, just to get the market working again...
Monday, October 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
your knowledge of economics is kinda hot. speak to me about interest rates and bear markets. grrrawww!! woof woof
Woohoo Nelly...Show em what lies inside of you...Grawl baby grawl !!
Hey Nelly,
Have you check out the following AU banks and their term deposit interest rates?
http://www.ubank.com.au (owned by NAB)
http://www.bankwest.com.au (attractive saving rate)
http://www.raboplus.com.au (if you want to play ultra safe)
Thanks guys....But the AUD is sliding :(
Post a Comment